The American Kennel Club is the oldest and largest purebred dog registry in the United States, registering over 175 dog breeds in 2012. To obtain AKC registration, a dog must have two registered parents of the same breed. The litter must be registered before each individual dog can be registered.
Search the web using the dog's AKC registration number. Often this will return results from dog shows or trials, health testing information or breeder websites.
Register for a free account on the AKC website, www.akc.org. Under My Account on the right-hand side of the page, click on "Create account" and fill out the required information. You will need a valid credit card number, but your card will not be charged. Once verified, log into your AKC account.
Navigate to the AKC online store by clicking "Store" on the top of any AKC website page. Once in the store, click on "Points and Awards" in the AKC Reports section.
Click on "click here to search for a new one" at the bottom of the dog information box on the Points and Awards page. This will open up a smaller window, so be sure your pop-up blocker is disabled.
Enter the dog's AKC registration number in the Registration No. box and click "Go". This will bring up the registration number and registered name of the dog.
Click on the registration number if you desire more information on the dog. This will close the pop-up window and take you back to the store page. The dog information box will now include the dog's registered name, breed, color, sex, whelp date, registration number and DNA information, if available.
Items you will need
- AKC registration number
- Credit card
- AKC registration numbers consist of two letters followed by eight numbers. The letters and first six numbers are the litter registration number; the last two numbers are the individual dog number.
- To find a dog's littermates, enter the numbers and first six letters, and replace the last two numbers to see if any littermates are registered. For example, a dog with the registration number XX12345602 might have littermates with numbers XX12345601, XX12345603, XX12345604, etc.
- Labrador retriever image by crazy.nataly from Fotolia.com
- Can Tetra Brand River Shrimp Sink?
- How to Control Urine Odor in Dog Kennels
- How Old Should a Cat Be for Spaying?
- How to Remove Bright Yellow Dog Vomit From a Carpet
- The Best Dogs for an Alaskan Climate
- How to Handle a Shy Puppy
- The Medical Problems in Great Danes
- How to Train Your Border Collie Puppy to Play Dead