Nobody likes to be ambushed with stinky dog breath, even if it does come from your best buddy. Baking soda can be an inexpensive and effective way to help with oral hygiene, which can keep your pup's pearly whites in proper condition and make her slobbers more tolerable.
Consult with your veterinarian about your dog's dental hygiene. If your pup has gum disease, tooth decay or heavy plaque buildup, your veterinarian may recommend special treatment in lieu of or in addition to regular brushing.
Mix together 1 tablespoon of baking soda with 1 teaspoon of water until it forms a paste. If your dog is picky about tastes, substitute the water with an equal amount of either beef or chicken broth.
Place a small amount of the baking soda paste on your dog's lips, so that the flavor of the paste doesn't catch her off guard.
Apply the homemade baking soda paste to a toothbrush specially designed for use with dogs.
Lift your pup's lips and gently begin to brush her teeth and gums. Brush in small circles and keep the brush parallel to her gums as you go. Take a break if your dog shows signs of discomfort or becomes restless.
Reward your pet's patience with a healthy dry treat or a safe chew toy, both of which can help prevent tartar buildup.
Repeat this process daily if possible, or two to three times a week at a minimum.
Items you will need
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon water or meat broth
- Toothbrush designed for dogs
- Dry biscuit or chew toy
- Commercial dog toothpastes include special enzymes that help combat plaque, and can be incorporated into your dog's oral hygiene routine along with baking soda paste.
- Never use human toothpaste on your dog's teeth, as it contains ingredients that may be harmful to her stomach.
- Chris Amaral/Digital Vision/Getty Images
- Natural Remedies for Red Gums in Dogs
- Is a Dog Adversely Affected by Changing Homes?
- How to Get Your Dog to Get Along With Your Chicken
- How to Get Your Dog to Mingle with Other Dogs
- Canine Vaccines Required by Law
- How to Keep Dogs Off of Sofas
- How to Stop a Dog Barking Through the Fence
- "How to Deal With a Small, Yappy & Growling Dog"