Whether your pup's hair is covering her eyes or you just want to give her extra sparkle at the dog park, putting her hair in ponytails is an adorable solution. And, unlike other, more complicated doggie hairstyles, ponytails are easy to do yourself.
Comb the sections of hair you want in ponytails using a fine-toothed comb. Pull the hair up and away from your dog's head through gentle strokes. Section off the parameters of ponytail A and B using the center of your dog's head as a midpoint. This will ensure the ponytails are even.
Secure a barrette around the hair for ponytail B to hold its place. Continue holding the hair for ponytail A in your opposite hand so you don't have to gather it again. Wrap a latex hair band around ponytail A so it sits half an inch above your dog's skin. Leaving some distance between the hairband and your pup's skin prevents the ponytail from being too tight and irritating.
Remove the barrette from ponytail B and wrap a latex hairband around the hair, half an inch above the scalp, just as before. Latex hairbands prevent your dog's hair from slipping through the elastic without painful pulls or snags. Never remove a ponytail by pulling out the latex hairband. This will cause the latex to pull painfully against your dog's hair. Instead, remove your dog's ponytails by snipping the hairbands with nail scissors.
Items you will need
- Fine-toothed comb
- Latex hairbands
- Nail scissors
- Before styling your dog's hair, glue a small bow to each of the latex hairbands. This will save you from tying the bows in afterward.
- Styling your pup's hair requires patience and trust. Help your dog become comfortable with you touching her hair through daily brushing and combing.
- Remove your pup's ponytails before giving her a bath. Washing her fur with the latex hairband in place is likely to cause knotting.
- Yorkie couple image by Svetlana Gurdina from Fotolia.com
- Nervous Fur Licking & Scabbiness in Cats
- Will Prednisone Cause a Poodle to Loose Clumps Of Hair?
- Do Collars on Cats Make Them Lose Their Hair on the Backs of Their Necks?
- How to Reduce Shedding in a Yellow Lab Dog
- Trimming the Backsides of Persian and Himalayan Cats
- What Is a Dog Slicker For?
- How to Put a Shih Tzu's Hair Into a Top Knot
- Does Cats' Hair Get Matted When It Is Dry?