Dog clothing may seem like a silly idea, but shirts are actually beneficial for some dogs. Small, short-haired breeds and little puppies get cold easily, and you can make your own puppy shirts from old baby clothes to keep your pooch warm and cozy.
Select the proper size onesie for your dog. If your dog is a small breed or puppy under 15 pounds, purchase a newborn-sized onesie. For dogs over 15 pounds, a 0-3 month or 3-6 month onesie should fit well.
Unbutton the onesie, and slide it over your dog’s head. Slip her legs through the arm holes, and pull the bottom of the shirt back toward the dog’s tail. Place a small mark on the shirt over the dog’s flank with a pencil.
Remove the onesie from the dog, and lay it on a flat surface. Trace a straight line using the mark you made on the shirt as a guide. Cut along the line with a pair of sharp scissors.
Turn the shirt inside-out and fold the bottom 1/4-inch of the shirt over to form a hem. Sew the hem with a needle and thread or sewing machine, and slip the finished shirt back on your dog.
Items you will need
- Baby onesie
- Needle and thread or sewing machine
- If you life in an extremely cold climate, look for onesies made of heavy, thick fabric for an extra measure of warmth.
- Happy Smiling Pug Dog image by Paul Hill from Fotolia.com
- How to Help a Puppy in a New Environment
- How to Make Your Hyper Chihuahua Puppy Fall Asleep
- What Can Happen if You Overfeed a Puppy?
- How to Train a Puppy to Cuddle and Chill
- How to Prevent a Puppy From Eating Bushes
- How to Get a New Puppy to Sleep
- How to Get a Cat Used to a New Puppy
- How to Make a Puppy Less Hyper