Hanging your parakeet's cage will save floor space and allow it to fit well in most rooms of the house. Some cages come with stands that allow for easy installation while others require light handyman skills. After hanging the cage, add toys and treats to make it homey for your parakeet.
Choose the right location for your bird's cage. Parakeets are happiest when living somewhere you and your family spend the majority of your time, such as the living room. Avoid placing the bird cage near the bathroom or kitchen since chemical fumes can be hazardous to avian health. Parakeets also enjoy having a solid wall at their back so that they feel protected from behind. An out-of-the-way corner of a common room or bedroom works well.
Use a stud finder to locate studs along the ceiling where you plan to hang the bird cage. When you find a suitable stud, mark the location using a pencil. If your cage attaches to a hanger, skip this step.
Drill a toggle bolt into the ceiling stud, if hanging the cage from the ceiling.
Attach one end of the connecting chain, which should be included with your bird cage, to the hook on the end of the toggle bolt. Hang the cage from the chain at the desired height.
Move the cage stand for a hanging birdcage to your preferred spot, if using this style of cage. Place the hanging birdcage on the hanger to complete cage installation.
Line the cage floor with newspaper; this prevents bird seed and droppings from falling out of the cage.
Stagger bird perches in the cage to allow your parakeet to perch at different heights. Add food and water bowls to the cage; set these up out of the way of the perches so that your parakeet does not eliminate in the food or water bowls.
Items you will need
- Stud finder
- Electric drill
- Toggle bolt with hook (optional)
- Avoid placing the cage in front of a window. Your parakeet can become alarmed by prowling cats, birds and other passersby.
- Parakeet: Your Happy Healthy Pet; Julie Mancini; 2005
- A Beginners Guide to Parakeets; Nikki Moustaki et al.; 2002
- The Times of India: Hanging Your Own Birdcage
- Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
- How to Introduce a Parakeet to a New Cage
- Can I Give My Parakeets Branches From Outside?
- How to Get My Parakeet to Come Out of the Cage to Fly
- How to Become Friends With Your Pet Parakeet
- The Proper Cage Sizes for Adult Dogs
- How Many Perches Should I Have in My Budgie's Cage?
- How to Safely Catch a Parakeet in Its Cage
- What Is the Best Out of Cage Time for a Parakeet?