Cat litter boxes are probably the worst thing about owning a cat. The boxes are ugly and are even a little gross to non-cat-loving guests. In addition, since cats dig in their boxes, the litter can spread over the area surrounding the box. Then, stinky litter gets tracked through the whole house. Building a litter pan cover can help to eliminate these problems.
Measure your current litter box.
Cut wood (plywood, particle board or MDF) so the floor of the container will be 2 inches wider and at least 6 inches longer than your litter pan. Cut the sides so the container will be at least 2 inches taller than your cat. You need six boards: a top, a bottom, a front, a back and two sides.
Decide on a front, cut a hole in the board large enough for your cat to comfortably walk through.
Nail the floor, front, back and side boards together so they form a box without a top. Connect the top to the box with hinges.
Locate a 25-gallon plastic bin with a snap-on lid. These can be found at thrift, hardware or department stores.
Cut a hole in the side of the bin just big enough for your cat to fit through
Either place the litter pan inside, or dump litter directly into the bin.
Save a cardboard box with a lid, like the type used for storing files.
Cut a hole in the side large enough for a cat to enter.
Place litter pan inside. Discard and replace as needed.
Items you will need
- Litter box
- Measuring tape
- Chosen container material
- Box cutter or saw
- To trap more litter inside the cover, make the cover twice as long as the litter box. This way the cat has to step out of the litter and onto the box floor before exiting.
- Odors can build up quickly inside the cover, so clean at least once per day.
- cat 6 image by Galyna Andrushko from Fotolia.com
- Do Cats Automatically Use Cat Litter?
- A Home Remedy to Stop a Cat from Urinating on Stuff Beside its Litter Box
- How to Stop My Cat From Urinating in One Spot
- How to Keep a Cat Box From Having a Bad Odor
- The Best Way to Clean Cat Litter Boxes
- Can Pregnant Women Change Cat Litter Boxes?
- Can Sand Be Used in Cat Litter Boxes?
- How to Adjust the Water Level on a Skimmer Box Aquarium