A cat has a way of stalking past you -- and his litter box -- when he's decided that it has offended his delicate sensibilities. A puddle of urine in the middle of your new laminate floor may emphasize his disdain for your litter box cleaning skills.
Items you will need
- Towels or rags
- Spray bottle
- Microfiber towel or mop
- Baking soda
- Enzyme cleaner
Wipe up the urine with a towel or rags as soon as you find it. While laminate floors are durable, liquids will eventually seep into the floor, damaging it beyond repair.
Fill a spray bottle with 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water. Shake well to mix the ingredients.
Spray the vinegar mixture onto a microfiber towel or mop. Wipe the floor thoroughly with the damp towel, then dry with a clean towel.
Allow the floor to dry completely, then sprinkle baking soda over the area where the cat urinated. Leave the baking soda on the spot for at least 24 hours, then sweep it up.
Give the floor the sniff test. If it still smells like cat urine, apply a thin film of an enzyme cleaner formulated for pet urine, barely dampening the floor. Allow the cleaner to air-dry. Repeat as needed until the smell has completely disappeared.
- Clean the cat's litter box thoroughly, rinsing it with vinegar and allowing it to air-dry before adding a layer of baking soda under fresh kitty litter.
- Provide a second litter box in a quiet, secluded area.
- Never allow any liquid to stand on a laminate floor. With the exception of the new vinyl laminates, a laminate floor is not waterproof. Once the liquid has soaked into the floor, the top will bubble and peel and can't be repaired.
- While the instructions on the enzyme cleaner say to soak the area, do not leave a puddle of cleaner on a laminate floor; it may damage the floor.
- Never use ammonia or ammonia-based products to clean urine. The cat will be attracted to the ammonia smell and may mark the area repeatedly.
- A cat that stops using the litter box may have serious medical problems, consult the veterinarian immediately.
- cat image by petar Ishmeriev from Fotolia.com