Bright yellow dog vomit indicates a large amount of bile, a naturally occurring stomach acid that enables dogs to digest food. When his stomach is empty, the vomit he produces will be largely, or entirely, stomach bile. Because acidic bile stains quickly, you must treat the stained carpet promptly.
Scoop and discard the vomit sitting on the carpet’s surface using a plastic spoon. The mucous-like consistency of dog vomit makes it easier to scoop or scrape off the surface. Rubbing the stain with paper towels or a sponge will force the vomit deeper into the carpet.
Mix an equal amount of cornstarch and baking soda in a bowl. Pour the mixture over the entire stained area, and let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes. The natural absorbency of these two powders will soak up the liquid part of the stain and help deodorize the carpet.
Vacuum the area to remove the baking soda and cornstarch. Repeat until the affected area feels dry.
Apply carpet cleaner to the stain with a cold, clean sponge. Blot the area with dry paper towels to remove any excess cleanser. Repeat until the stain disappears.
Items you will need
- Plastic spoon
- Baking soda
- Small bowl
- Carpet cleaner
- Substitute club soda for carpet cleanser if the vomit contained small chunks of food. The carbonation will help loosen these small particles sitting beneath the carpet’s surface.
- Never use hot water or a steam cleaner to remove a vomit stain because heat sets stain-causing compounds.
- Regular vomiting, regardless of the color, indicates underlying medical issues. Take your dog to the vet if his vomit is consistently bright yellow, or if he vomits more than a few times each month.
- village carpet image by Pomidors from Fotolia.com
- How to Clean Dried Clumping Cat Litter
- How to Eliminate Dog Waste Odors Outside
- How to Remove Dog Poop Stains
- How to Clean Dried Cat Urine Smells Out of a Rug
- How to Get Dog Urine Stains & Smell Out of Unfinished Wood Floors
- How to Bathe a Dalmatian
- How to Clean Dog Pee Stains Out of Carpet
- How to Remove Cat Urine From Laminated Floors