Pit bulls' coats require relatively little maintenance, but achieving a shiny, glistening coat can be challenging, particularly with active dogs who are always getting dirty. By bathing your dog regularly and making a few simple dietary changes, you can help your dog get a stunning coat.
Incorporate fish oil into your dog's diet. Fish oil is rich in fatty acids that can improve the state of your dog's coat and improve dry skin. Give your dog one fish oil capsule each day. You can incorporate it into his regular meal or wrap it in peanut butter or another treat.
Choose dog food wisely. Healthy foods increase the shine of your dog's coat, while cheap foods can cause allergies as well as skin and coat problems. Meat should be the first ingredient listed in your dog's food. Fillers such as corn and grains can reduce the shine of your dog's coat and may cause allergies in some dogs.
Brush your dog two to three times a week with a boar-bristle brush. Natural boar bristles distribute the oil on your dog's skin to his coat and will help to give the coat a natural shine.
Bathe your dog only when his fur feels greasy or he is visibly dirty. Excessive bathing can strip the natural oils from your dog's fur and result in a dull, lifeless coat. Use an oatmeal shampoo, which is gentle on the skin and coat and can reduce dryness and itching. For added shine, use a dog fur conditioner after shampooing. Brush your dog's fur with a boar-bristle brush while he is damp.
Items you will need
- Fish oil capsules
- Boar-bristle brush
- Oatmeal shampoo
- Dog fur conditioner
- Your Purebred Puppy: American Pit Bull Terrier Temperament
- Pit Bulls and Pit Bull Type Dogs; Melissa McDaniel
- The Essential Pit Bull; Ian Dunbar
- Portrait of the american staffordshire terrier. isolated image by Sergey Sukhorukov from Fotolia.com
- Why Is My Dog's Fur Changing Color & Thinning?
- Recipe for a Natural Dog Shampoo That Won't Strip Natural Oils
- How to Make a Poodle's Coat Shiny & Healthy
- What to Feed a Dog to Get a Shiny Coat
- Is Corn Oil Good for a Dog's Coat?
- Home Remedies for Giving Dogs Shiny Coats
- How to Wash a Greasy Dog
- How to Trim a Long Haired Maltese