If your dog is a Nervous Nelly, you’ve probably tried everything under the sun to help calm him down. Next time he stresses out, whip up a calming spray for your pooch. A few drops of oil and a little water will help him relax before your eyes.
Pour 4 ounces of distilled water into a small spray bottle. Look for a bottle with an adjustable nozzle that sprays in either a stream or fine mist. If the spray bottle previously held another type of liquid, wash it with soap and hot water. Do not use a bottle that previously held cleaning chemicals.
Add 6 drops of lavender oil, 4 drops chamomile oil and 4 drops sweet marjoram oil to the bottle and shake vigorously to combine. Each of these oils has calming properties to relax your nervous pooch, and when combined act as a super powerful potion to knock out nervousness.
Spray the oil mixture over the dog’s bed or favorite blanket and encourage him to lie down. He may sniff or roll on the strange new scent, but this will help him unwind and relax.
Mist a little of the calming spray around the house if you have company, or if there is a loud storm going on outside. Unfamiliar faces and loud noises often trigger nervous behavior, and the spray will prevent a full-blown panic attack.
Items you will need
- Small spray bottle
- 4 ounces distilled water
- 6 drops lavender oil
- 4 drops chamomile oil
- 4 drops sweet marjoram oil
- Water and oil separate while standing, so shake the bottle well before using the spray.
- Holistic Aromatherapy for Animals; Kristen Leigh Bell
- Paws Crossed: 3 Must Have Essential Oils to Calm Your Pet
- Janie Airey/Lifesize/Getty Images
- How to Clean a Maltese's Eyes
- Maple Dog Treat Recipe
- How to Remove Dog Urine From Sofa Cushions
- How to Train Your Boxer to Speak
- How to Stop a Dog From Licking the Furniture
- How to Keep Your Dog's Dander Minimal
- How to Take Out Dog Urine from Carpet Weeks Later
- How to Stop Your Dog From Rubbing His Nose on the Carpet