Your dog can easily pick up fleas when playing outside or with another dog. He is part of your family, so you don't want to treat him with harsh chemicals to get rid of his little visitors. Natural neem oil made from plant parts is an organic alternative.
Combine one part neem oil to three parts carrier oil to make your flea repellent. After brushing your dog, place a few drops of the solution in the palm of your hand and run it through your dog’s coat. Repeat until you've treated his whole body, including his belly, his tail base and around his ears. Repeat each week during the flea season.
Run a flea comb through your dog's fur once a day to check for signs of fleas. If you find a live flea, give him an extra rub with the neem mixture.
Wash his bedding in warm water at least once a week. Wash your own bedding frequently if he is allowed to lie on it. Sprinkle rosemary leaves in his bedding, as these are flea deterrents. Sprinkle a small amount of diatomaceous earth across areas where your dog likes to lie, as this dehydrates and kills fleas.
Vacuum carpets daily. Also vacuum areas in your home where your dog spends time, including furniture, and the car after he has traveled in it.
Press two cloves of garlic and mix it with your dog’s food. This will make him a less attractive meal to fleas.
Items you will need
- Organic neem oil
- Carrier oil (olive oil, almond oil, grape seed oil, jojoba oil or anything similar)
- Flea comb
- Rosemary leaves
- Lavender essential oil
- Garlic cloves
- If your dog has particularly sensitive skin, dilute the neem oil so that the ratio is one part neem to ten parts carrier oil.
- bambino e cane image by Michele Campini from Fotolia.com
- What to Do When Frontline Plus Is Not Working on My Dog
- About Flea Dip for Cats
- How to Get Rid of the Black Dandruff on Schnauzers
- Ingredients in Flea Control for Cats
- Can Cats Become Anemic From Fleas?
- "How to Condition a Dog on Hills, Stairs, and Agility"
- How to Bathe My Dog After Applying Frontline Plus
- Removal of Ticks & Fleas From Cats