Nausea can lead to a very miserable dog. It can be heartbreaking to see your pet in such distress, but you're not helpless. Whether you're looking for a natural method or want to try OTC medications, you can keep your dog's stomach happy.
Take the natural route and use foods such as ginger and yogurt. Natural methods are the safest option for your pet. Yogurt works to build good bacteria in the stomach so that dogs have an easier time digesting their food. Hand-feed 1 to 2 tablespoons of plain, unflavored yogurt to your dog each day. You can also grate a couple teaspoons of fresh ginger onto her food, but your dog may be opposed to the taste.
Provide a bland diet. Dogs who have a condition that causes nausea can benefit from a bland diet of brown rice, lean ground beef and fat-free chicken stock. Avoid letting your dog eat too much, as this can lead to nausea no matter how bland the meal. Start with 1/4 cup and see if your dog is able to keep that down without getting ill and gradually increase the portion until the dog is eating the amount of food you normally feed him.
Try bismuth subsalicylate. Bismuth subsalicylate is a safe option for dogs who are not pregnant and do not have bleeding disorders. The medication works the same way it does with humans and can help prevent nausea. Give your pet 0.5 to 1ml per pound of weight every six to eight hours. Speak to your veterinarian about long-term use and any risks of the medication.
Consult your vet about antihistamines and motion sickness medications. Antihistamines aid dogs who experience anxiety that leads to nausea. This is usually a problem that dogs experience when riding in vehicles. While antihistamines can offer a calming effect in dogs, motion sickness medications attack the problem more directly to prevent nausea during car rides. Before attempting this remedy, it is extremely important to speak to your doctor about any complications your dog may experience and the dosage amount for your dog's size.
Items you will need
- Bland food
- Bismuth subsalicylate
- Antihistamines and motion sickness medications
- Use plain yogurt that contains live cultures.
- If you have a small dog, start with a couple tablespoons of bland food, rather than 1/4 cup.
- Janie Airey/Lifesize/Getty Images
- How to Make Homemade Dog Food With Crushed Egg Shells
- Homemade Diet for a Sick Dog
- Recipes for Nutritional Homemade Food for Boxer Dogs
- How to Make Dog Shampoo without Glycerin
- Does Rice Coat a Dog's Stomach?
- Unsafe Vegetables for Dogs
- How to Make a Dog Stop Stealing Food
- Dog Treat Recipe for Sensitive Tummies