The Siamese cat is a very well-known breed, appreciated the world over for its lean figure, distinct vocalization, playful nature, blue eyes and point coloration, among other things. If cared for properly in a household setting, a Siamese cat may be able to enjoy comfort and longevity.
About Siamese Cats
The Siamese cat breed, as its name expresses, originated in Thailand, formerly known as "Siam." The breed has been a fixture in the Western world since its introduction toward the latter 1800s. The "point" sections, including the feet, tail, ears and face, of a Siamese cat are markedly darker than the rest of the often athletic and slender body shape.
The Siamese cat breed luckily possesses a long typical life span. Cats of the energetic Asian breed often live anywhere from 15 to 20 years, and many of them certainly surpass that time frame. However, some Siamese cats pass away well before 15 years, as in all cat breeds. All Siamese cats are different and, depending on basic overall health and life circumstances, can live either very long or short lives -- not unlike human beings, in fact.
Health factors undeniably have a lot to do with the average lifespan of a Siamese cat. Purebred felines may be more vulnerable than mixed breeds to a variety of health ailments. The Siamese breed often is especially susceptible to health problems, including breathing difficulties, glaucoma, calcium oxalate bladder stones, chronic renal failure and crossed eyes. Some of these health issues may, indeed, have an effect on a cat's lifespan.
It's impossible to anticipate the lifespan of a specific Siamese cat. As a loving owner, all you can ever do is ensure that your pet stays in good health for as long as possible. Maintaining health for a cat includes regular and routine veterinary checkups, feeding a nutritionally balanced feline diet, ample love and attention, and frequent physical fitness. That's all you can really do, so make sure that you always try your very hardest. Remember, your blue-eyed fluff ball loves you and relies on you.
- The Cat Fanciers' Association, Inc: Siamese Breed Profile
- National Siamese Cat Club: Siamese in History
- ASPCA: Factors Determining a Cat's Personality
- CFA Siamese Breed Council: About the Siamese Breed
- Life With Siamese Cats: How Long Do Cats Live?
- Feline Advisory Bureau: Inherited Disorders in Cats
- 2nd Chance: Kidney Disease in Dogs and Cats -- Chronic Renal Problems
- Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
- Himalayan Cat's Lifespan
- Types of Big Breeds of House Cats
- Balinese Cats vs. Siamese Cats
- Does Hyperthyroidism in Cats Lead to Death?
- Differences Between Javanese & Balinese Cats
- The Differences Between Angora & Persian Cats
- The Life Expectancy of a Staffordshire Terrier
- What Is the Difference Between Siamese & Himalayan Cats?