Though you look at the litter box and see a bathroom, your dog might see a cookie jar. Some dogs find cat droppings irresistible, which can lead to health problems like intestinal parasites and makes kisses less appealing. Prevention, however, keeps your pooch from chowing down on the bad stuff.
Items you will need
- Baby gate
- Covered litter box
- Wet dog food
- Chew toys
Take your dog to the vet. Though it's uncommon, in some cases of dogs eating cat feces, the dog has parasites or another medical motivation. Even if you don't suspect that this is the case, taking him to the vet is an opportunity to make sure that he hasn't gotten sick just from his unconventional snacking habit.
Place the cat's litter box where your dog can't reach it. Remember, cats are great jumpers and love to climb, so putting the litter box up on a shelf or in a confined area isn't typically a problem. Your solution may even be as simple as putting the box in a "no dogs allowed" room that is blocked by a baby gate. Anytime you move the litter box, make sure that you show the cat its new location.
Replace your litter box with a covered one. Some litter boxes have removable tops with tiny swinging doors. These significantly decrease odor and make it more difficult for your dog to gain access.
Clean the litter box on a daily basis if you aren't already. This is better for your cat, and it cuts back on the odors that may tempt your pooch.
Increase your dog's exercise. Dogs sometimes turn to litter box snacking out of boredom, so make sure that he gets plenty of attention in the form of walks and playtime. Give him chew toys to keep his mind active and his mouth busy when you can't engage him directly.
Feed your dog wet food as a treat or mix it in with his dry food. The soft, moist texture may be just what he is looking for.
- PhotoObjects.net/PhotoObjects.net/Getty Images
- How to Know When a Dog Has to Pee
- How to Keep an Elderly Dog's Bed Warm
- Can Dogs Eat Carnation Stems?
- What Does It Mean When a Dog Spins in Circles?
- How Long Do Female Dogs Carry Their Puppies?
- Effects of Moving on Dogs
- Should You Leave the Radio on for Dogs?
- Can You Take a Dog Away From Its Mom Before 6 Weeks?
- How Long Should Pups Stay With Their Mother?
- What Does it Mean When a Dog Tries to Stand Over You?