Using baking soda as a dry shampoo or adding it to your dog's bath water will neutralize that doggy odor that dog lovers are all too familiar with. You will be surprised at how effective baking soda is at keeping your pet and home smelling fresh with minimal effort.
Items you will need
- Baking soda
- Dog shampoo
Sprinkle your dog with baking soda. Make sure you cover him with baking soda, don't just sprinkle a little along the top of his back. Get around the base of his ears, but avoid the face.
Rub the baking soda down to his skin. Use your fingertips and massage gently until the baking soda is on his skin, not sitting on the top of his coat.
Let the baking soda sit on his skin for a few minutes to absorb excess oil and odors.
Brush your dog to remove the baking soda. After brushing the baking soda out of your dog's coat, you will be surprised at how fresh he smells and how good his coat looks.
Mix a solution of 3 tablespoons baking soda to 1 liter of warm water.
Wet your dog with your premixed solution and massage it into his coat until he is thoroughly wet.
Apply dog shampoo as you normally would, massaging it into his skin. Take your time washing him so the baking soda water has plenty of time to neutralize odors.
Rinse your dog with clear water. Take your time rinsing, as any shampoo residue left behind can make him itch.
- Sprinkle blankets, carpets and other areas your pet lies on with baking soda and allow it to set for a few minutes before vacuuming it up. This will neutralize doggy odors in his favorite spots, so he doesn't pick those odors back up after his bath.
- Thinkstock/Comstock/Getty Images
- Skin Care for a Shar-Pei
- How to Tie a Topknot on a Yorkshire Terrier
- How to Wash a Dog in the Winter
- How to Make a Pomeranian's Coat Shine
- How to Make Your Own Dog Shampoo That Helps With Dry Skin
- Does Daily Grooming Prevent Shedding in German Shepherds?
- How to Remove Fleas From a Bichon With a Flea Comb
- Pomeranian Coat Grooming Tips
- Grooming Mats Behind a Collie's Ears
- How to Groom the Papillon for the Show Ring