Although a combination of vinegar and water naturally repels fleas, it's not an effective flea treatment on its own. Use vinegar and water to keep fleas away from your cat, but incorporate other natural flea treatments to kill the fleas.
Adding a small amount of unpasteurized apple cider vinegar to your cat's drinking water can reduce fleas. Combine one teaspoon of vinegar with one pint of water and give this to your cat in lieu of water alone. Use a plastic or ceramic water dish when using vinegar and water to repel fleas, because vinegar can react with metal. Repeat daily to help reduce fleas.
Apple cider vinegar works best to repel fleas. Other types, such as white vinegar, can be used on your cat but might not be effective against fleas.
Distilled white vinegar makes a nice post-bath rinse for kitty. Combine 1 pint of warm water with 1 tbsp. distilled white vinegar. After you've rinsed your cat free of suds, pour the vinegar and water solution over her fur to remove soap scum and to ward off dandruff. Follow with a plain water rinse. Try this vinegar rinse after a flea bath.
Why It Works
After your cat drinks vinegar water, the vinegar changes the way her blood tastes. Fleas that subsisted on kitty blood will leave your cat alone, but they won't leave your home.
Although vinegar in water can help remove fleas, you'll need other methods to stop a flea invasion. Wash pet bedding in hot water to kill them. Sprinkle diatomaceous earth in the home and in the cleaned cat bed to make the environment unfriendly to fleas. Every four days, vacuum up the old diatomaceous earth and apply a fresh layer.
- Eartheasy: Natural Flea Control
- The Natural Remedy Book For Dogs And Cats; Diane Stein; 2004
- Dr. Pitcairn's New Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats; Richard H. Pitcairn, D.V.M. and Susan Hubble Pitcairn; 2005
- Jupiterimages/Goodshoot/Getty Images
- Should You Bathe Cats With Flea Dirt on Them?
- How to Flea Dip a Dog
- Symptoms & Treatments for Allergies to Fleas in Cats
- About Flea Dip for Cats
- How Old Should a Puppy Be to Put on a Flea Collar?
- Topical Soothing for Flea Bites in a Cat
- Capstar Pills for Cats
- What Is the Difference Between Frontline Plus & Advantage for Kittens & Cats?