Digging may be a natural doggy behavior, but it’s also a dangerous one. An avid digger can decimate a yard in minutes and break free for a hazardous run through the neighborhood. However, a roll of chicken wire and little elbow grease will stop your digging pooch in his tracks.
Dig a 12-inch deep, 6-inch wide trench along the bottom of the fence. Remove rocks and debris from the fence line and dig down into the soil, taking care not to dig through any sprinkler or water lines. If the ground is too hard to dig through, soak the dirt with a garden hose for a few minutes to loosen the soil.
Unroll the chicken wire near the trench and cut it into 6-foot long sections. Smaller sections are easier to handle and make installing this dig-busting barrier a breeze. Fold the bottom 5 inches of wire at a right angle to form an L-shape, and place the wire in the trench with the bent L-shaped foot in the bottom of the hole.
Attach the wire to the fence with a few zip ties. Pull the ties tight and snip off the excess plastic at the end to keep your puppy from poking himself as he explores the yard. Place a tie at the bottom of the fence and another at the top of the chicken wire to keep your playful pooch from pulling the wire away from the fence. Continue securing the sections to the fence line until you’ve enclosed the whole fence in chicken wire.
Place a few heavy rocks on the wire at the bottom of the trench and toss the soil back into the hole. Tamp the filled trench down with your feet to compact the soil and deter your pup from digging in the soft ground.
Items you will need
- Chicken wire
- Wire cutters
- Zip ties
- Heavy rocks
- If you can’t find chicken wire at your local lawn and garden store, pick up a roll from a farm and ranch store.
- Hemera Technologies/AbleStock.com/Getty Images
- How to Get a German Shepherd to Stop Digging
- How to Stop Dogs From Digging Up Tree Roots
- How to Teach Dogs Yard Boundaries
- Can House Cats Transmit Diseases to Humans by Digging in Dirt?
- Do Wheaten Terriers Like to Dig?
- How to Replace the Sisal Rope on a Cat Tree
- What to Put Around a Garbage Can to Stop Dogs From Getting Into It
- How to Reprimand a Dog for Digging a Hole in Your Backyard