Dogs react to other dogs out of aggression or fear, or because they feel territorial. Teaching your dog to tolerate other dogs takes time and patience, but will make life much more enjoyable. If your dog is seriously aggressive, lunging and snarling, seek help from a professional trainer.
Socialize your pup. Frequent exposure to other dogs is the best way to teach him tolerance. Ideally this exposure will start when he is young, but it is never too late. Start by taking him for walks around your neighborhood and to local parks, where he may see other dogs but where there is plenty of room to be on your own as well. As he gets used to seeing other dogs, decrease the space, eventually working up to the point where you can stop and chat with other people who have dogs.
Correct growling and pulling at the leash with a firm "no" and a sharp tug back on the leash. Do not overreact, but let him know when his behavior is unacceptable.
Distract your dog when you are at home and neighborhood dogs bark. If hearing other dogs bark sends him into a frenzy, use this time to distract him with a few minutes of obedience work or tossing a favorite toy. The key is to focus his attention on you, not what is going on outside.
Train your dog to come when called, no matter what. Work on the recall in the house, in the yard, at the park while he is wearing a long lead and any other way you can think of so that he knows, when he hears you call him, he is to come no matter what. Doing this will help enforce that your pup should always be focused on you.
Items you will need
- Be generous with treats. The more attention your dog has focused on you, the less he will pay attention to distractions, such as other dogs.
- Puppy Dog Web: My Dog Has Problems With Aggression Towards Other Dogs
- Partnership for Animal Welfare: Aggression, Growling, Lunging at Dogs and People Outdoors
- The Good Behavior Book For Dogs: Colleen Paige
- Jupiterimages/Polka Dot/Getty Images
- How to Stop Dog Aggression Toward Other Dogs
- How to Train Your Akita Dog
- How to Discipline a German Shepherd
- How to Stop Your Dog From Herding
- How to Help Your Dog Behave With Other Dogs
- How to Change Your Dog's Dislike of Other Dogs
- How to Stop Male Dogs From Sniffing Other Male Dogs
- How to Get a Dog to Stop Rough Housing