Is a Lavender Plant Poisonous to Dogs?

If you have a pet pooch and a flourishing garden, you might worry that your dog may eat harmful plants. So, is lavender safe for dogs? The answer is essentially “yes,” but not completely. Pet parents should be aware that lavender contains the chemical linalool which can cause allergic reactions, skin irritation, loss of appetite and vomiting if ingested in large amounts. It all really boils down to the amount of lavender. Lavender is not poisonous to dogs in small quantities, as the natural concentration of linalool is pretty low in a lavender flower. Lavender essential oils, however, are much more concentrated than any single flower and could cause lavender poisoning because of the large quantities of linalool.

Lavender Taste and Smell

Overall, the lavender plant itself is a pretty safe plant for your pooch. Dogs have an incredible sense of smell, so will be aware of fragrant lavender in the garden. The unusual texture of lavender plants will prevent most dogs from eating much of the plant. Those dogs that do eat lavender will experience a lemon-like flavor that some hounds will find tasty. Lavender has also been known to be a natural tick and flea repellent

Lavender in Dog Food

Dog biscuits and treats containing lavender flowers are commonly sold commercially at pet stores. The lavender adds an interesting flavor to these treats, which your dog may enjoy. Lavender flowers and oil have been known to have calming effects and can be used externally, as a mode of stress relief for a dog’s anxiety. If your dog finds the scent of lavender soothing, you can rub the oil from the plant's flowers onto your dog's collar, or put it in an oil diffuser on. low in your home. This can be helpful before a stressful event such as a long car journey or moving house.

However, it is recomended that if you are putting lavender oil on your dog, you might want to use a diluted lavender oil to limit the concentration of linalool on your dog’s skin. This can be made by mixing just a few drops of essential oil in water, then applying that to your pet for aromatherapy. For more information contact a DVM first about the best decisions for pet health

Lavender Dangers

There are some circumstances in which the ingestion of lavender can be dangerous to your pet, as it techniacally is a poisonous plant. Dogs can have negative reactions to lavender, or can eat far too much of the plant. In either case, your dog may start vomiting, scratching himself and experiencing diarrhea. Any lavender that has been treated with pesticides should be considered dangerous to dogs. If your dog eats lavender with pesticide, health problems may follow. To keep your pet safe, familiarize yourself with the symptoms of lavender poisoning and keep a pet poison helpline on your phone.

Other Considerations

Lavender is known to attract bees, which may sting your dog near the lavender plant. If your dog is sniffing around the lavender plant or chewing on the lavender flowers, it runs the small risk of a bee sting in the sensitive face, mouth or nose areas. You can keep your dog away from lavender plants by growing lavender in tall-sided pots or behind a protective fence in a flower bed.

the nest