Your shorkie is a hybrid of a Yorkshire terrier and a shih tzu; two breeds that are known for being highly trainable. If you keep in mind that shorkies respond best to positive training methods and a strict training schedule, your new pup will be house-trained in no time.
Take your shorkie outside to relieve herself first thing in the morning. Always take her to the same spot while training; puppies feel most comfortable relieving themselves in a familiar place.
Reward your shorkie with a toy or treat after each time she relieves herself outside. Continue giving her a treat every time until she's housebroken.
Take your shorkie out every two hours, and always take her out first thing in the morning and before bed. Remain consistent with her house-training schedule, and she will catch on quickly.
Items you will need
- Dog toy or treat
- Don't use commands to influence your pet to relieve herself. Remain calm and quiet and let her do her thing.
- Puppies usually need to relieve themselves five to 30 minutes after they eat, so work this into your shorkie's house-training schedule.
- NA/PhotoObjects.net/Getty Images
- How to Potty Train a Miniature Yorkie Around 10 Months Old
- How to Housebreak a Shih Tzu
- How to Potty Train a Cocker Spaniel Poodle Mix
- Methods to Housebreak a Cairn Terrier
- Fixing Barking & Whining From Anxiety in a Papillon
- How to Potty Train a 5 Month Old Cocker Spaniel
- How to Potty Train a Yorkshire Terrier
- Housebreaking a Rhodesian Ridgeback