Dog waste odors are overwhelming, especially when the summer sun bakes piles of forgotten feces. If your dog uses your yard as a potty, clean up waste regularly to keep odors at bay. Once dog waste odors take hold, you'll need to set aside several hours for serious cleaning.
Pick up all solid dog waste in your yard using a scooper, place it inside a plastic bag, tie the bag closed and throw it into a trash receptacle.
Eliminate dog waste odors from concrete patios by washing soiled areas with a hose or pressure washer.
Scrub the patio with a solution consisting of three parts water to one part vinegar, one part baking soda, and one part dishwashing soap.
Allow the concrete to dry in the sun. Repeat the cleaning process the following day, if necessary.
Remove urine and feces smell from bushes by sprinkling a thin layer of activated carbon over the smelly area. Activated carbon is available in most pet and aquarium stores.
Flush contaminated grassy areas with water to dilute waste and urine and remove odor. Then sprinkle powdered lime over the smelly area of your lawn. The lime will reduce the odor without harming your grass or pets.
Scoop away soiled or urine-soaked areas of mulch, seal it in plastic and discard. Once the odor penetrates mulch, it is nearly impossible to remove. It is better to replace with clean mulch.
Hose down and scrub exterior walls, furniture, trees and other areas where your dog does his business. If your dog likes to urinate on a specific plant, consider removing it.
Items you will need
- Poop scooper
- Plastic waste bags
- Garden hose
- Baking soda
- Dishwashing soap
- Scrub brush
- Activated carbon
- Powdered lime
- Always wear gloves and wash your hands after handling pet waste.
- The University of Florida recommends training your dog to urinate and defecate in only one area of your yard. This will make clean up easier and will cut down on dog waste odors.
- Cane image by LuigiMondo from Fotolia.com
- How to Clean Aquarium Ornaments
- How to Remove Cat Urine with Vinegar
- How to Remove Dog Urine From Sofa Cushions
- How to Wash Out a Dog Urine Stain in Fabric
- How to Clean Dog Urine with White Vinegar
- How to Deodorize a Cat Litter Box
- How to Remove Dog Urine Odor from a Tile Floor
- How to Remove Cat Urine From Laminated Floors