Even flushable kitty litter can clog your drain pipes. Don't worry. If your pipes are clogged, it is possible to clear the drain yourself without calling a plumber in a few simple steps.
Begin trying to clear the clog by using the plunger on the toilet.
With swift movements, bring the plunger up and down, keeping the head of the plunger under the water. Continue this for one to two minutes. If the clog clears, the water in the toilet will drain. If not successful, proceed to the next step.
Pour several drops of dish-washing soap into the toilet bowl. Follow that with a cup of hot water. Allow this to sit for a minute and then try plunging again. If this is not successful, it is time to try the snake.
Feed the wire end of the toilet snake into the hole in your toilet bowl. A snake end is metal with a spiral end, so use caution not to scratch your toilet bowl.
Turn the snake handle to move the snake into the drain until it is as far as it can go. Continue to crank until the toilet begins to drain.
Slowly pull out the snake and flush the toilet. Use the plunger to make sure that the broken up clog moves down the pipes.
Items you will need
- Dish-washing soap
- Warm water
- Toilet snake (toilet auger or closet auger)
- While flushable kitty litters claim to be safe for your pipes, clogs are still possible.
- If you want to test just how flushable your kitty litter is, consider trying the “flushability test” from the city of Tacoma, Wash. Place water into two bowls. In one bowl, place a piece or two of toilet paper. In the other bowl, place the kitty litter you want to test. Swish the water around in both bowls and then set aside for an hour. Swish the bowl again. You will see that the toilet paper has disintegrated. If your litter is still solid, it has the potential to clog your drain.
- As tempting as it may be, do not flush kitty litter down the toilet, especially if you use a litter made of clay. When water mixes with clay, it essentially makes cement. Cement and toilets do not mix well.
- Ryan McVay/Photodisc/Getty Images