Pet hair's a pain. It sticks to your furniture and is tricky to remove. If your puppy loves napping on your futon, place a blanket on the mattress to keep it free of fur. If it's too late for that, you can get rid of the dog hair in minutes.
Remove any pillows or other accessories from your futon. If your futon mattress has a detachable cover, remove and launder it according to the directions on the tag.
Vacuum up as much dog hair as possible from the mattress using the brush attachment on your machine. If you are allergic to dog dander, use a vacuum with a built-in HEPA filter.
Dampen a lint-free washcloth or rag and run it along the flat surfaces of your futon mattress. Wipe in one direction only. The damp cloth should catch most or all of the dog hair, and the remaining hair should collect in piles that are easy to remove by hand. Rinse the cloth and repeat as necessary.
Put on a pair of rubber gloves and run your fingers along the folds and cracks of your futon to clean up trapped dog hair. The rubber will roll the hair into clumps for easy removal.
Leave your mattress uncovered until it is completely dry on all surfaces. If it feels more than slightly damp, place it in the sun to dry.
Items you will need
- Lint-free rag
- Rubber gloves
- Because a futon mattress is dense, it will take a long time to dry if it becomes wet. This is especially true inside cracks. For this reason, it is best to use a dry method of removing dog hair from folds and cracks.
- Keep a lint roller near your futon for quick removal of hair from small areas.
- If you want to get rid of pet hair while deodorizing your mattress, run a fabric softener sheet along the fabric. It might not work to remove a thick accumulation of dog hair, but it helps with a few strands here and there.
- Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images
- How to Clean Dog Hair on a Microfiber Couch
- How to Remove Dog Poop Stains
- What Kind of Fabric Repels Dog Hair the Best?
- How to Wash a Dog Bed
- Help for Dog Hair That's Everywhere
- How to Remove Dog Urine From Sofa Cushions
- How to Clean Dog Hair From Underneath the Refrigerator
- Instructions for Building a Dog Run