Fancy goldfish can subsist on flake food, but they thrive when they have a varied diet. These omnivorous scavengers will eat almost anything, but the fact that a goldfish will eat something does not mean it is safe. In small quantities, grapes can be a healthy addition to your goldfish's diet.
Basic Goldfish Diet
Fancy goldfish will readily eat just about any food, including sweets and other unhealthy items. However, their diet should be limited to fish food, plant matter and whole proteins such as brine shrimp and bloodworms. Goldfish should eat slightly more vegetables than protein, and fruit should be limited to snacks.
Benefits of Grapes
Grapes are high in vitamins A, C and B6, as well as calcium. These nutrients offer similar benefits to goldfish as to people and can reduce your fish's risk of some diseases in addition to improving overall health. Soft, sweet fruits such as grapes are particularly appealing to goldfish, and most fish will readily eat them.
Risks of Grapes
In large quantities, grapes can cause intestinal problems such as a runny stool. Grapes also pose a choking hazard, particularly to small goldfish, so owners should ensure grapes are chopped.
How to Feed
Give your goldfish one grape per fish two to three times per week. Peel the grapes to remove the skin, then chop the grapes into fish pellet-sized pieces. If your fish do not eat the grapes, try feeding a smaller quantity next time. If your fish still won't eat grapes, try a different fruit such as blueberries or raspberries.
- Goldfish2care4.com: Feeding Goldfish: Super Tips on Everything You Need to Know
- Organic Facts: Health Benefits of Grapes
- Fancy Goldfish; Erik L. Johnson et al.
- grapes image by Maria Brzostowska from Fotolia.com
- Are Vegetarian Diets Good for Cats?
- How to Care for Carnival Goldfish
- How to Transfer Goldfish to a Bigger Tank
- What Do Goldfish Eat Besides Goldfish Flakes?
- Similarities Between Koi & Goldfish
- How Long Does It Take a Goldfish to Fully Mature?
- Do Goldfish Need a Tank With Filtered Water?
- How Often Do Guppies Need to Eat?