Your schnauzer needs a bath; that doesn't mean every area of his body should get wet. Whether your schnauzer's ears are clipped or au natural, their open position makes them tend to collect water, which can lead to ear infections. Protecting his inner ears while cleaning his fur isn't difficult.
Nestle one large cotton ball inside each of your schnauzer's outer ears before starting the bathing process. Choose the largest cotton balls available, as these are the least likely to migrate into his ear canal. The cotton ball should be positioned far enough inside the outer ear that it won't fall out during his bath, but accessible enough that you don't have to worry about anything getting stuck inside his ear canal.
Massage a dime-sized amount of dog shampoo in a wet washcloth. Wring out any excess moisture to prevent stray drops from trickling into your pup's ears. Gently massage the outside of his ear flap and around the base of his ear with the damp, soapy washcloth. Use your fingers to massage the tips of his ears.
Rinse the soap from the washcloth and wipe his ears as you did before, this time using clean water. The washcloth doesn't need to be saturated, but you want to make sure that any irritating soap residue is completely gone. Pat his ears dry with a towel and remove the cotton balls.
Items you will need
- 2 large cotton balls
- Dog shampoo
- Dry towel
- To clean the insides of your schnauzer's ears, use cleansing wash that's specially formulated for dogs, and remove the excess wax with a clean cotton ball.
- To prevent strands of cotton from entering your schnauzer's ear canal, be sure to promptly remove the cotton balls immediately after finishing the bathing process.
- Seek veterinary assistance immediately if your dog displays the key signs of ear infection: constant scratching, internal swelling and redness inside the ear.
- SCHNAUZER image by Enrique Soriano from Fotolia.com
- How to Clean a Bernese Mountain Dog's Ears
- How to Groom a Yorkiepoo at Home
- How to Care for the Outer Ear of a Bloodhound
- Maltese Ear Cleaning
- How to Make an Ear Cleaning Solution With Vinegar for a Dog
- Importance of Cleaning a Dog's Ears
- Instructions for Grooming a Mini Schnauzer
- How to Clean a German Shepherd's Ears