Truffles, the soft and decadent chocolate candy that is frequently topped off with sprinklings of cocoa, is delightful for humans but unsafe for our dogs. You can create a reasonable facsimile of truffles suitable for dogs; they'll be tasty, safe and healthy. Every dog deserves to indulge in something decadent now and then. Reward your buddy with a truffle treat fit for a furry prince or princess.
Gather a half-cup of carob powder or carob chips, 1 cup of peanut butter and 1 cup of oatmeal to whip up a tasty batch of truffles. Opt for a natural peanut butter with no added salt or sugar to keep these treats as friendly as possible to your buddy’s tummy. You can use any type of oatmeal, including varieties designed to cook quickly.
If you are using carob chips instead of powder, place a saucepan over medium heat. Add the carob chips and stir until they completely melt. Mix the carob powder or chips, the peanut butter and the oatmeal in a large bowl. Use a spoon or your hands to make sure all the ingredients are mixed together well.
The mixed dough should be slightly sticky. If you find that it’s too sticky, add a splash of water. Form the dough into small balls with your hands or a melon-baller. Roll each ball in extra oatmeal to coat it. Place the balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Refrigerate the treats until serving to allow them to harden.
Store these treats for your furry pal as you would store any other perishable food item. Place them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a week, or in the freezer for up to six months. Homemade treats often do not last as long as store-bought varieties, due to the lack of preservatives. They are often more fragile, too, so handle them carefully.
- Jupiterimages/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images
- Organic Fruits & Veggies Side Dish for Dogs
- What Dog Toys Do Dogs Like Best?
- Homemade Dog Food With Chicken Gizzards
- A Recipe for Dog Food With Eggs & Sweet Potatoes
- Recipe for Homemade Dog Treats With Carob Chips
- What Size of Leash Should You Get for Your Labrador Puppy?
- Seaweed Mineral Food for Dogs
- Homemade Dog Treat With Fresh Vegetables
- How to Build an Affordable & Easy Dog Run
- The Recommended Crate Size for an English Bulldog