When the weather outside is frightful, potty training a pup is not exactly delightful—unless your pup is a St. Bernard or Alaskan malamute. But let's not forget about you. A skimpy bathrobe at 3 a.m does not a happy pup parent make. Here's how to keep warm and potty on.
Items you will need
- Dog coat and booties
- Exercise pen
- Newspaper, potty pads or fake grass
Dress your puppy in a coat and booties if you are training her in extremely cold climates or if there is snow on the ground. Take her outside for as long as she needs to go potty. The clothing will keep her warm enough to get the job done. As with any potty-training exercise, praise her when she relieves herself, then bring her back inside. Remove her outerwear.
Take your pup outside frequently for short periods if she refuses to potty outside or shows displeasure at the cold. Confine her to a crate or exercise pen or keep a close watch on her; she will most likely attempt to potty inside.
Create an indoor potty system by placing fake grass, puppy pads or newspaper on one side of an exercise pen, and your pup's bed on the other. Ensure that the two textures are distinctly different. Once the pup recognizes her soft bed, she'll prefer to keep her sleeping spot clean and potty on any surface other than her bed.
- Stay outside with your puppy in the cold. Depending upon where you live, she can become very cold or lose her scent and become lost.
- Perfect Puppy in Seven Days: How to Start Your Puppy Off Right; Sophia Yin, DVM, MS
- Training Your Pug; Brenda Belmonte
- Puppy image by Daria from Fotolia.com
- How to Stop a Dog From Charging Another Dog
- How to Stop a Dog From Eating Baseboards
- Can Pit Bulls & Cats Live Together?
- How to Train Multiple Puppies at the Same Time
- How to Stop Dogs From Bothering a Declawed Cat
- Pros & Cons of Barking Devices for Dogs
- Cats and Dogs: Making the Introduction
- How to Keep a Dog's Claws From Tearing Furniture
- How to Condition a Dog on Hills, Stairs, and Agility
- How to Use Puppy Pads on a Partially Housebroken Dog