Natural Flea Killer for Kittens

by Elton Dunn, Demand Media
    Fleas like the heat of your kitty's body.

    Fleas like the heat of your kitty's body.

    When a pet gets fleas, you'll find only 10 percent of the fleas on kitty. The remaining 90 percent lie in the home in the form of adult fleas, flea larvae and flea eggs. You can use natural flea repellents in your home and on your kitty to curb a flea epidemic.

    Flea Control Measures

    If you spot fleas in the home, clean your home as well as your pets. Wash your kitty's bedding in hot water to kill fleas and repeat once a week until the fleas are gone. Vacuum or steam clean the floors and furniture to kill flea eggs. Use a flea comb on kitty daily. Drop the flea eggs -- which look like black specks that turn rust red when smeared on a white surface -- into a bowl of soapy water to kill them.

    Safe Natural Products for Kitty

    While flea-combing will help remove flea eggs, natural flea products can kill fleas on your cat. The chrysanthemum-derived pyrethrum offers safe, effective and natural flea control for kitties. Permethrin is a synthetically derived version of pyrethrum. Ask your vet for flea control products that contain these agents, or find a flea control product labeled for use on cats. Do not use a product labeled for use on dogs since it will be too strong for Fluffy.

    Safe Natural Flea Products for the Home

    Electric flea traps emit a gentle heat that attracts fleas. The fleas land on the traps, stick there and die. Diatomaceous earth or DE sticks to flea bodies and kills the critters. It offers gentle flea control for kitties, but the unsettled powder could irritate your and Fluff's noses. Spread DE on your carpets, floors and cleaned pet bedding, then rub it in with a broom. After four days, vacuum up the DE and apply a fresh coat to continue killing fleas.

    Not for Kitty Consumption

    Not all natural flea control products are right for little kitties. Avoid using flea products that contain citrus extracts, including limonene. Borax and borates kill fleas but can be toxic to kitties. While naturally derived, rotenone adds toxins to waterways that can kill aquatic critters.

    References

    About the Author

    A successful website writer since 1998, Elton Dunn has demonstrated experience with technology, information retrieval, usability and user experience, social media, cloud computing, and small business needs. Dunn holds a degree from UCSF and formerly worked as professional chef. Dunn has ghostwritten thousands of blog posts, newsletter articles, website copy, press releases and product descriptions. He specializes in developing informational articles on topics including food, nutrition, fitness, health and pets.

    Photo Credits

    • Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images