Your four-legged prince or princess will prance around in style with a handmade dog scarf. Make a scarf to match your dog's style, special occasions or to coordinate with your clothing. Choose any soft, washable fabric to create one-of-a-kind doggie fashions that are easy to make and take care of.
Make a paper template for the scarf. Measure your dog's neck, and add four to eight inches, depending on your dog's size. Cut out the template, and fold it in half to form a triangle. Fit the paper triangle loosely around the dog's neck to be sure to have enough excess to tie the scarf bandanna-style around his neck.
Open the paper template out into a square. Pin the pattern template onto a single layer of the fabric. Position the pattern so that any print or larger objects on the fabric will face the desired direction when the scarf is folded into a triangle to tie around your dog's neck. Cut out the square pattern.
Remove the pattern and the pins from the fabric. Fold the fabric under and to the backside one-half inch, then again one-half inch, to form a hem. Pin the hem. Hand or machine stitch the hem in place. Press the hemmed scarf.
Fold the finished scarf into a bandanna-like triangle and tie it around your pet's neck. Keep the scarf loose enough to fit your hand between it and your dog's neck, but not so loose that it will easily fall off.
Items you will need
- Pattern paper or newsprint
- Measuring tape
- Cotton blend or knit fabric
- Faux fur fabric
- Fabric paint
- Craft paint brushes
- Glue gun or craft gem tool
- Craft jewels
- Make several bandannas from holiday and birthday printed fabrics to have a scarf for each season or special day of the year.
- Use plain fabric and paint a design or phrase onto scarves with acrylic paints.
- Fold the pattern into a triangle. Cut the triangular pattern from faux fur or fleece animal print fabrics for an elegant fur-coat look.
- Use a hot glue gun or a craft gem tool to add jeweled beads to a scarf.
- Position the decorated triangular portion of a scarf so that it hangs down over the dog's chest, if you prefer.
- Fold the scarf into a bandanna shape. Mark the center of the edge that will tie around the dog's neck. Mark and sew a button hole stitch, then cut the center of the button hole. Hook your dog's leash through the button hole to keep the scarf in place when walking.
- Keep any painted surfaces and beaded or jeweled areas away from the front portion of the scarf to prevent dogs from chewing on them.
- Heeler Pup 14 image by Lee O'Dell from Fotolia.com