The smooth, sleek coat of the doberman pinscher makes them one of the simplest of all breeds to groom. Frequent brushing keeps the coat soft and shiny, and routine teeth and nail care reduce the likelihood of bad breath and lameness issues.
Items you will need
- Shedding blade
- Soft bristle brush
- Dog shampoo
- Cider vinegar
- Cotton balls
- Nail clippers
- Dental chew
Brush your dog at least once a week. Dobermans are a short-haired breed, but they still need regular brushing to minimize shedding and skin irritation. Start with a shedding blade and brush the dog gently to prevent scratching her with the blade’s metal teeth. Follow up with a soft bristle brush to lift away remaining hair.
Bathe your dog when he is stinky or visibly dirty. Dobermans are generally clean dogs and only require baths when they roll in the mud or play in the garbage. Lift the dog into the bathtub and wet her coat with warm water. Lather her with dog shampoo, rinse clean and dry with clean towels.
Mix one part cider vinegar and one part warm water in a small bowl. Dip a large cotton ball in the vinegar solution, and wipe the inside of the dog’s ears. If your doberman has natural ears, hold the ear flap up until the ear is dry.
Trim your dog’s toenails twice a month. Dobermans have black toenails, so trim carefully so you don’t cut the quick. Trim in small increments, and stop when you see the gray, half-moon-shaped quick in the center of the nail.
Brush your dog’s teeth every day. Coat a small toothbrush with dog toothpaste and brush her teeth from canines to molars. Give the dog a dental chew between brushings for even more protection against periodontal disease.
- Dobermans are prone to tooth decay, so don’t skip out on brushing. It may take a few sessions, but your dog will eventually settle down and accept the toothbrush.
- Doberman image by Stana from Fotolia.com
- How to Keep a Cocker Spaniel's Hair Fluffy
- How to Make a Pomeranian's Coat Shine
- How to Wash a Dog in the Winter
- Does Daily Grooming Prevent Shedding in German Shepherds?
- What Dog Brushes Are Best for Matted Hair?
- How to Clean Cocker Spaniel Eyes
- How to Make Your Own Dog Shampoo That Helps With Dry Skin