Your dog loves her chicken jerky treats, but you have concerns about buying her treats from a store. Fear not! She can still have her treats and you can have your peace of mind. All it takes is some boneless chicken, a few kitchen tools, spices and an oven.
Items you will need
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Cookie sheet or aluminum pan
- Garlic powder
- Olive oil or canola oil (optional)
- Kitchen shears (optional)
Set your oven to 200 degrees and allow it to preheat while you prepare the chicken.
Cut the chicken into thin slices, approximately 1/8 to 1/4 inch wide. Cutting the chicken with the grain will make the dehydrated chicken chewier and will add to Lassie’s enjoyment by making the treats last longer.
Sprinkle a light amount of garlic powder onto the raw chicken. Dampen the chicken with a small amount of water or olive oil, if needed, to get the garlic powder to stick.
Lightly grease a cookie sheet with olive oil, if desired. Place the sliced chicken at even distances on the pan. Do not overlap the pieces.
Allow the chicken to bake for two hours or until the slices feel firm and dry to the touch. Remove the chicken from the oven and allow the dehydrated pieces to cool.
Cut the dehydrated chicken into bite-sized pieces using a sharp knife or kitchen shears.
- You can prepare turkey breast the same way as chicken breast.
- Try other seasonings for a bit of variety. A sprinkling of parsley, sage, rosemary and mint will keep your pup from getting bored and will make your house smell great.
- A lot of garlic in a dog’s diet can cause anemia. Do not add garlic or garlic powder to your dog’s diet if she is already anemic.
- Polka Dot Images/Polka Dot/Getty Images