If Kitty is having a party with your plants -- a dinner party, that is -- you might be tempted to take some drastic measures. Spraying your plants with something Kitty hates would make the leaves unattractive to him and would ensure that you still had a garden at the end of the day.
Vinegar as Deterrent
Vinegar is a great cat deterrent. Unfortunately, it's also a great plant killer, so effective that it can kill weeds. Vinegar is acidic, and it can kill roots and keep the plant from absorbing water and nutrients. Spraying your plants with vinegar will prevent Kitty from eating the leaves -- but the leaves will be dead.
Working Around the Problem
If you're dealing with a potted plant, one option is to spray the pot itself with vinegar. The smell could be strong enough to deter Kitty from approaching the plant. If you have a big container, you can also add a few cotton balls dipped in vinegar to the soil. Make sure they're close to the edge of the pot, rather than against the plant itself.
If you can't use vinegar, what can you spray on your plants to keep cats away? Anything citrus will do. Cats dislike the smell of citrus, but it doesn't bother your plants. So mix citrus oil -- or fresh lemon juice -- with water, and add to a spray bottle. Or buy commercial citrus spray at a home-and-garden center. Spray lightly and see how Kitty reacts. If he's still chewing, spray the plants some more.
Keeping Plants Safe
Aside from spraying your plants, there are other ways to keep kitties away from them. One is to give them something better to chew on, such as a small container with grass. You can buy cat grass at pet stores -- it's usually organic, easy to grow and safer than houseplants, which sometimes are poisonous. You can also move your plants to areas that are hard to reach, such as the top of the fridge.
- Jupiterimages/BananaStock/Getty Images
- What Kinds of Intestinal Parasites Do Cats & Dogs Transmit?
- How to Keep a Dog From Turning Over the Food Dish
- How to Treat Cat Urine on Subflooring
- Proper Burial of Family Pet
- The Average Lifespan of Cats vs. Dogs
- Can You Spray Your Houseplants With White Vinegar to Keep Cats From Eating Them?
- Are Irises & Daylilies Poisonous to Cats & Dogs?
- What to Do When Your Dog Goes After the New Kitten
- How do I Get Cat Urine Out of Sub Flooring?
- Are Gardenias Poisonous to Pets?